Moving to a new town or home is exciting, but there are some challenges you'll likely need to overcome. One of these is how your children may feel about the move. Here's a look at some suggestions you can try as you ease your family into new surroundings.
Tips for Moving with Young Children
A sense of home is critical to young children, and even toddlers may feel unsettled as you begin the moving process. Here's what you can do to ease their fears.
- If possible, give your children a tour of your new home before moving day and show them their new room.
- Highlight the exciting features of your new neighborhood, including local parks, the library, and special features like the zoo or a nearby amusement park.
- Moving day can be unsettling for small children. Be sure to keep track of special toys, blankets, or other items that will bring comfort to your child as you travel to your new home.
Tips for Moving with Teens
High school and middle school-aged children may have deep connections in your community. Here are a few tips to help your older children deal with an upcoming move.
- Let your teens in on your news as soon as possible, giving them plenty of time to adjust to the change.
- If possible, involve teens in the process of choosing your new home or neighborhood.
- Visit their new school and work with your teens to research local activities.
- Encourage teens to keep in touch with friends, and make concrete plans for a visit as soon as you can manage it.
Part of a successful move includes protecting your belongings. As an established Boise moving company, Merchants Moving has a reputation for honesty and integrity. We've been a successful Boise moving company since 1994, with professionally trained and certified employees and a reputation you can trust. Contact Merchants Moving today— your local, family-owned moving company in the Boise area.